MIAMI (AP) — The path to progress for the Miami

[复制链接]

主题

帖子

积分

注册会员

积分
发表于 2019-4-12 10:29:30 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Marlins starts on the mound.The Marlins believe their reboot will gain momentum in Season 2 under CEO Derek Jeter http://www.tigersfanproshop.com/authentic-joe-jimenez-jersey , and any improvement likely will be most apparent in the rotation. There’s more depth there than elsewhere, and perhaps a starter or three who could be part of the foundation as Miami tries to build a contending team.New pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre Jr., whose coaching career in professional baseball began in 2002, said the Marlins’ situation is unique in his experience.“I’ve been in a lot of camps,” Stottlemyre says. “This is dangerous, but bar none it’s the youngest, most talented bunch of arms that I’ve ever dealt with in all my years coaching.”That’s reason to watch baseball’s most off-the-radar team in 2019. Some other things to know about the Marlins:ROTATIONThey may finish last in attendance again, and they’re likely to finish below .500 for the 10th year in a row. But the starting pitching should be interesting.The group is led by right-hander Jose Urena, who is scheduled to start opening day March 28 against the Colorado Rockies. He’s 23-19 over the past two seasons, while in other games during that span the Marlins have gone 117-164.Right-hander Dan Straily, a likely midseason trade target, and left-hander Wei-Yin Chen are other veteran options. But whether the season’s judged a success or failure likely depends on how several young pitchers develop.The Marlins believe Pablo Lopez Jose Iglesias Jersey , Sandy Alcantara, Caleb Smith and Trevor Richards all have major league stuff. Stottlemyre knows that’s not enough.“We need to find a way to harness it and get to a point to where they have some understanding of what they possess and learn more who they are,” he says.There are also more talented arms in the minors than when Jeter’s group bought the franchise in October 2017.OFFENSEThe Marlins finished last in the majors in 2018 in runs, home runs, slugging and OPS, and they’ll likely again struggle to score. They don’t have a player who hit over .278 last season, or hit as many more than 12 home runs, or stole more than six bases.NEW FACESThirtysomething newcomers Miami added include first baseman Neil Walker, outfielder Curtis Granderson and reliever Sergio Romo.“Any time you have a young team that’s very impressionable and you’re trying to build something special, it’s important to surround them with some veterans,” Jeter says. “They played the game the right way and bring those intangibles. We were able to bring in some guys who have had a lot of success in their careers. More important, they’re great in the clubhouse.”Miami also acquired catcher Jorge Alfaro Denny McLain Jersey , 25, in the trade that sent catcher J.T. Realmuto to the Philadelphia Phillies.ROOKIES TO WATCHHard-throwing right-hander Jorge Guzman, acquired from the New York Yankees in the Giancarlo Stanton trade in late 2017, will begin the season in Double-A but might join the rotation sometime this year.Outfielder Victor Victor Mesa will begin the year in the minors, and the Marlins would love to see him take a fast track to the majors. The Cuban outfielder was considered the top international free agent last fall when he received a $5.25 million signing bonus, but his progress was set back by a hamstring injury early in spring training.RIGHT DIRECTION?Since the sale of the team, the Marlins have traded five players with All-Star pedigrees — Stanton, Christian Yelich, Marcell Ozuna, Dee Gordon and, most recently, Realmuto.Bruce Sherman http://www.tigersfanproshop.com/authentic-joe-jimenez-jersey , the new majority owner, has taken a hands-off approach but endorses Jeter’s rebuilding plan. He’s unfazed by last year’s poor record (63-98) or poor attendance.“You know the things we’ve done that may not be popular right now,” Sherman says. “But if you look out over the next few years, all of the decisions made by the organization will become increasingly popular and increasingly supported. I’m very excited about it.” PHOENIX (AP) — Two nights in a row, Anthony Rizzo has made a major impact on Chicago Cubs wins with efforts that don’t stand out in the boxscore.Rizzo beat out a potential double play by hustling to first base Monday, and teammate Javier Baez followed with a two-run homer. The next night, Rizzo worked a 17-pitch at-bat before lining out, and Baez followed with another two-run shot.That helped the Cubs cruise to a 9-1 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Tuesday for their fifth win in six games. Chicago increased its lead in the NL Central to 3 1/2 games over Milwaukee, which lost at home to last-place Cincinnati.“I saw it all,” Rizzo said. “They were just borderline pitches. You would love for that ball to sneak through, but when you wear pitchers out like that, it’s something that the next guy and the next guy can have success.”Daniel Murphy also hit a two-run homer as the Cubs jumped out to a big early lead. Mike Montgomery (5-5) allowed a run and four hits with a season-high eight strikeouts in six innings for his first win since Aug. 7.“Changeup was really working Kirk Gibson Jersey ,” Montgomery said. “Obviously, this rotation is working well so I kind of wanted to jump in line and be a guy that goes out there and gives us as many innings as he can.”The slumping Diamondbacks dropped six games behind the first-place Dodgers in the NL West and six back of St. Louis for the second wild card. They have lost four in a row and nine of 11.The Cubs built a 5-0 lead after their first two turns at bat.In the first inning, Baez drove a 2-0 pitch from Matt Andriese onto the pool deck in right-center. Baez’s 33rd home run gave him 107 RBIs this season.Ian Happ knocked in Jason Heyward with a second-inning double before Murphy, who scored three times, hit his 11th home run of the season.Rizzo added a two-run single in a four-run fifth.“Overall, we did work some good at-bats,” Cubs manager Joe Maddon said. “I thought the approach was good and we hit some balls really well.”Ketel Marte homered in the second for Arizona, his 12th. But the Diamondbacks’ season that got off to a great start appears on the verge of ending with no return to the postseason.“We still have two feet in this race and I believe something good can come out of it,” manager Torey Lovullo said. “Whether it is tomorrow or next year, I believe we are learning some valuable lessons.”Andriese (3-6) lasted two innings and was charged with five runs on five hits in a bullpen game for Arizona. Four other pitchers appeared.“Not the way I wanted my first start with the Diamondbacks,” Andriese said. “That Rizzo at-bat kind of made me work hard and kind of put me behind the 8-ball.”HEY, IT’S HEYWARDHeyward started for the first time since being activated from the disabled list on Sunday. He came in as a defensive replacement in right field in the ninth inning on Monday. He had been out since Aug. 31 with a hamstring injury.Heyward was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the fifth.“Jason looked really good at the plate http://www.tigersfanproshop.com/authentic-joe-jimenez-jersey ,” Maddon said. “First ball in the gap and second one was really well struck up the middle.”SPRING TRAINING FEELThe Diamondbacks, down 9-1 after five innings, made six lineup changes before the sixth, including replacing star first baseman Paul Goldschmidt. The Cubs also took out several regulars, and before the night ended, Happ had played all three outfield positions.TRAINER’S ROOMCubs: A day after expressing hope that closer Brandon Morrow could soon be back from a lingering elbow injury, the Cubs decided to shut him down for the rest of the season. That means their two relievers with the most saves this season, Morrow and Pedro Strop, are out. Strop hopes to possibly be ready for the postseason. … Chicago catcher Willson Contreras took a foul ball to his groin area in the eighth inning and was doubled over in pain behind home plate, but stayed in the game.Diamondbacks: Arizona reliever T.J. McFarland was shut down for the rest of the season with an elbow issue. McFarland was 2-2 with a 2.00 ERA in 47 games and 72 innings.UP NEXTCubs: LHP Cole Hamels tries to improve to 5-0 with Chicago when he pitches Wednesday against the Diamondbacks. It will be his 10th start in a Cubs uniform since he was traded by Texas.Diamondbacks: LHP Robbie Ray (5-2) is Wednesday’s scheduled starter. Six of his last eight appearances have ended in no-decisions, and the other two are wins.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

加载中
快速回复 返回列表